Head of Front Desk
Hauser & Wirth Somerset
Hauser & Wirth Somerset opened in July 2014 and has already welcomed over 250,000 visitors and has received wide and positive acclaim in the press. Its ethos sits at the very heart of Hauser & Wirth as a place where art can successfully merge with many other subject matters of importance to us; architecture, education, community, landscape, food and farming and opens the doors for creative ideas and collaborations. We are looking for an experienced and dynamic person to join the enthusiastic and active Somerset team as Head of Front Desk.
The role is a full time position and includes some weekend work. It will include, but not be limited to the following responsibilities:
Main Tasks include but are not limited to:
- Supervising gallery and public spaces, ensuring they are presented to the highest standards at all times
- Responsible for opening and closing the galleries each day
- Supervising the public to ensure their personal safety and that the artwork is respected at all times
- Dealing with visitor enquiries by telephone, email and in person and providing relevant, correct and helpful information
- Assist with travel and accommodation arrangements for staff as requested.
- Recording visitor numbers and providing regular updates
- In liaison with the Head of Education, managing the sale of tickets for events, updating guest lists, and keeping track of tickets funds
- Manage the gallery switchboard to take messages/voicemail updates/night service
- Assisting with private views and special events
- Ensuring all exhibition materials are up to date and in place at the front desk
- Handling all incoming and outgoing mail and couriers, and logging all courier deliveries
- Responsible for processing and recording the sales of artist and special editions through Front Desk POS system
- Assisting with the induction of new staff and preparation of induction packs
- Manage and update Eventbrite and diary booking system; in liaison with the Head of Education.
- Manage the sale of tickets for events, update guest lists, generate invoices and keep track of ticket funds.
- Manage car-parking arrangements for events and ensure adequate staffing during busy times.
- Issue weekly updates for forthcoming group bookings, events and ticket sales
- Oversee setting up of spaces for all events.
- Manage staff security systems
- Manage updating of databases
- Manage gallery retail spaces and oversee product selection, development and finances
- Assist with travel and accommodation arrangements of VIP guests and staff as requested
- Accounting of Front Desk credit card charges and expenses.
- Process gallery invoices, liaise with Accounts on behalf of the team to ensure invoices are paid in due time
- Manage the budgets for staff & client related expenses
- Manage Front of House logistics for preview events
- Manage and coordinate cleaning and maintenance staff
- Manage day-to-day running of the Intern and work experience programme
- Oversee the appointment of invigilators and their day-to-day performance
- Manage Front Desk team and staff rota
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum 2 years experience in a similar public facing position
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
- Knowledge of or interest in contemporary art
- Exceptional customer service skills, professional, friendly and a team player
- Excellent administration and IT skills (computer proficiency with Mac OS X, Microsoft Office Suite, and Google Apps for Business and willingness to learn new programmes as necessary)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. They will be highly personable with a pro-active, resourceful and flexible approach to the job
- Superior organisational skills with ability to handle multiple priorities
- Driving license is desirable
Please submit your CV and cover letter by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is Monday 22 August 2016.
Hauser & Wirth London
London, United Kingdom
Based in our London gallery and reporting to the Head Registrar, we require an experienced, practical and flexible professional to join the registrar team, working in a highly successful and prestigious world-class organisation.
The role is full-time with a start date of no later than 1 October 2016.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Provide support on all shipping and related matters for designated internal and external exhibitions including budgets and cost controls Responsibility for UK art fairs
- Liaise with UK located artist studios
- Create condition reports and ensures accuracy of information relating to works of art
- Help manage the storage of artwork at our London warehouses
- Oversee the organisation of framing of artwork and coordinate all in-house and external photography
The successful candidate will have the following skills / experience:
- 5 years of relevant experience and a proven track record as Registrar in an international contemporary art gallery or comparable experience in a museum or auction house environment
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills required to liaise with a diverse range of internal and external personnel at all levels, particularly in relation to exhibition coordination
- Knowledge of UK customs and tax regulations
- Ability to work as an effective team member
- Strong problem solving ability, structured approach
- Strong oral and written skills in English. Ability in German language is an advantage
- Solid computer skills
- Strong art-related network is an advantage
Please submit your CV with a brief covering letter and work-related references to email@example.com no later than Monday 15 August 2016.
Hauser & Wirth New York
New York, NY
The position requires extensive experience in fine art handling. The art handler will be expected to primarily manage large-scale international projects related to a specific artist. The art handler also is expected to properly install, pack and transport a wide range of different types of artworks. The art handler is expected to plan, communicate and act independently and collaboratively as the projects require.
Main Tasks: Duties include but are not limited to:
Project Manage large-scale installations related to a specific artist as well as general New York day-to-day activities related to:
- Internal exhibitions
- Art fairs
- External installations
- Showroom activities in the gallery & offices
- Deliveries to clients / institutions
- Communication with Artist Studio and internal Hauser & Wirth team
As needed also support Registrars with:
- Artwork deliveries to clients
- Internal shipments between New York – Zurich – London – Los Angeles
- The compilation of manuals and condition reports
- The organisation of framing of artworks
- In-house and external photography
- The storage of artworks internally, at our warehouse and other 3rd party locations
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years experience in art handling, preferably in an art gallery
- Experience working within a company structure
- Extensive knowledge of fine art logistics (shipping, handling, packing and storage)
- In-depth knowledge of various materials and techniques
- Tuesday – Saturday 5 day work week, with overtime requirements during installation and project periods
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and follow instructions
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects as required
- Ability to travel for long periods of time required
- Valid driver’s license
Send cover letter, resume and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position begins immediately